The central challenge for this project was to grow the consumer market for and increase sales of plants and trees in Australia. Circul8 was engaged as creative and technical consultant by Horticulture Innovation Australia and partner agency Republic of Everyone to develop an innovative approach to encourage people to buy more plants. Two key insights discovered through research conducted by RMIT drove the strategy behind the project:
1. That health and wellbeing benefits motivate people to buy more plants and trees
2. Lack of confidence to grow things as well as a lack of space are key barriers which prevent people from buying plants and trees.
The objective for us was to translate the research from RMIT into an engaging digital experience that would inspire people to experiment with new plants in their homes and then based on that experience, buy plants that they had visualised in their homes.
We identified an opportunity to use augmented reality within a mobile app to help people rate the health of their space (based on how many plants they have), learn about the benefits of different indoor plants and then find out where they can buy the best ones for their space. Users are able to take a photo of their living spaces (both indoors and outdoors), rate them based on a ‘wellness index’ and then see how they can style their spaces with plants and also improve their rating. Both experiences ultimately lead the user to a recommendation of new plants to improve their space as well as a tangible shopping list of real plants that they can then take to their local plant nursery to purchase.
Circul8 was responsible for the creative concept and technical aspects of the project including functional specs, UX and UI, technical design, copywriting, interactivity/gamification, algorithm development, app development and delivery for both android and iOS platforms.
– 20,000+ downloads since launch (6 weeks)
– 31,000 sessions since launch (6 weeks)
– 4.9 star reviews in Google Play & App Store
– 4 minutes average session time
– Downloaded in 122 countries
– 46% reach of female
– 36% returning users
– Covered across a range of media including Today Show Channel 9
Download the App: Click Here