On 20 February 2016 Fiji was hit by the biggest storm in the country’s history, Cyclone Winston. In the wake of Cyclone Winston, visitor arrivals to Fiji plummeted. Tourism Fiji needed a market-ready campaign to counteract the negative media that was making people nervous about travelling to Fiji and cancelling their holidays.
The most authentic and believable way to show that Cyclone Winston hadn’t affected some parts of Fiji was to publish real-time images of unaffected areas of Fiji and the fastest way to get this to market was Social Media. We immediately launched the #Fijinow hashtag encouraging people on the ground in Fiji to become our content creators and share imagery. Circul8 created a tagline ‘Bula As Usual’ to echo the bula spirit of the Fijian people during this recovery time.
We lined up a group of social media influencers with a global following of over 1.3 million to travel to Fiji and share their experiences in real-time. Our influencers were tasked with demonstrating to their followers around the world on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter & Snapchat that “This is Fiji Now”, it’s “Bula as Usual” and Fiji had recovered quickly and many resorts had returned to normal. The influencers also promoted our campaign hashtag.
Circul8 set up a bespoke version of our custom content aggregation tool, Aggreg8, to feature as a campaign hub on the official Tourism Fiji website and dynamically show a live updated feed of images directly from our influencers in Fiji and other travellers using the hashtag #fijinow.
- – The #FijiNow campaign restored consumer confidence to book a holiday to Fiji.
- – Fiji visitor arrivals are at record levels in 2016 with a 4.8% increase in visitors in August 2016.
- – Video content received over 627,000 views
- – 1.16 million engagements on social media
- – 25 million campaign impressions
- – Tourism Fiji social channels grew by 19,330 fans
- – Estimated media value of campaign $290,000